How can I become a member of the library?

The Humboldt University Library is a scientific library open to the general public.  Every person over sixteen years of age and resident in Germany may register to use it in accordance with the Library's Benutzungsordnung (Regulations of Use).


What do I need to register?

Are you a student of Humboldt-Universität?

If the answer is "yes", you normally don't have to register because your signed student ID card can be used as library card. The University's Admissions Office will send us your personal details at the beginning of each semester. Still, you should have your personal ID card or your passport and residence permit available to avoid any possible problems.

You are of age, you are a student, but you are not enrolled at Humboldt-Universität?

For your registration bring your personal ID card or your passport and residence permit, and within about 15 minutes you will be given a library card which is valid for one year. You do not have to pay a charge.

Are you possibly a member of a special group of users?

If you are a member of staff at Humboldt-Universität, a student of another university , a member of staff of Wista (at Berlin-Adlershof), you should mention it and, if required, provide proof of it when you register.

Are you 16 or 17 years of age?

In this case you need your parents' permission (in writing) to register.